by John Rost6
The Grillmaster’s Guide
Alright, so you’ve declared yourself grillmaster. You’ve told friends and family (and yourself) that you can handle it. Steaks, burgers, chicken, fish, veggies, kabobs … they’re all headed towards your grill and it’s up to you to prepare them all perfectly.
Don’t panic. We can help. Start with the heat.
Propane people, use your multiple-burner facilities to your advantage. Preheat your grill so everything is good and hot, and then follow this:
• Starting from the right or left, leave one or two burners on HIGH.
• Set the middle burner or burners to MEDIUM.
• Leave the other side on LOW.
This way, you have a place to sear and grill steaks and other high-heat items, a medium zone in the middle for chicken and fish, and a low-heat area for longer-cooking items like bratwurst.
Ever heard of a three-zone fire? That’s what you need. Use a chimney or a starter to light a big pile of red-hot coals. Push more than half of them to the right or left 1/3 of your grill. Leave a shallower pile in the middle 1/3 and leave the opposite 1/3 empty. Now you have high heat, medium and indirect heat areas on your grates, ready for a variety of grillables.
Next, make a schedule! Most popular grilling foods have fairly easy cooking guidelines. Basically, you’ll put the longer-cooking foods on first, on your low- and medium-heat areas. As those foods cook, you’ll add faster items like steaks and finish everything at just about the same time.
• 3 – 7 minutes per side, depending on thickness & doneness
• HIGH heat
• 10 – 12 minutes, depending on thickness
• MEDIUM heat
• 8 – 10 minutes total
• MEDIUM to MEDIUM-HIGH heat
• 4 – 5 minutes total
• MEDIUM heat
Bratwurst & sausage (fresh)
• 20 – 25 minutes
• LOW heat
• Slice thick, coat with olive oil & seasoning
• 8 – 10 minutes
• MEDIUM heat
Steak Time App
Of course, if you want to do things the easy way, try Omaha Steaks fantastic grilling app, Steak Time. Our all-in-one tool is a grillmaster’s best friend. Here’s what you get with this FREE app:
Cook by Time or Temperature
– Enter the size, desired doneness and name of each steak you’re cooking. Steak Time will tell you when to flip each and when it’s done perfectly.
– Use an iGrill electronic thermometer and Steak Time will actively monitor your meat. When it’s time for action, your phone or tablet will let you know.
– Steak Time is loaded with how-to videos, handy cooking charts and Omaha Steaks signature grilling tips.
– Browse our chef-tested recipes by steak cut, seafood, poultry, appetizers, sauces and more.
– As you choose recipes, Steak Time adds the ingredients to an interactive grocery list. You’ll know exactly what you need and how much of it to buy.
Connect & Shop
– There are plenty of easy ways within the app to bring the finest Omaha Steaks to your door. Participate in social media, enter Omaha Steaks contests and send gifts straight from the app.