by Christina Lane2
Asian Noodle Salad with Sliced Strip Steak
This salad not only uses Omaha Steaks high quality, always-delicious New York Boneless Strip Steaks, it also features a fun new Omaha Steaks product: Vegetable boxes! Fresh vegetables pulled right from the dirt, packed in a box and delivered to me! My very own farm-to-table restaurant happens in my house now. And I couldn’t be happier.
My fresh veggie box is considered a ‘Juicing Box’ because it contains so many glorious carrots and beets for fresh juices. It’s also packed with fresh herbs (including the prettiest edible flowers) and microgreens for which to garnishing my dish. I feel like a chef in my own home!
For this flavorful noodle salad, I used an assortment of the most colorful, crisp and fresh baby carrots from the box. I can’t lie, I do have a favorite carrot in this mix. The purple carrots. They’re just so beautiful! I mixed the purple carrots with red carrots, yellow carrots, and orange carrots for this salad. I julienned the carrots to stir into the salad just before serving, but you could also use a box grater or your food processor to save on prep time. I prefer julienned vegetables over grated ones in this application, because their larger size lends even more crunch to this salad. The final touch for crunch is heaps of fresh scallions and cilantro. I can hardly make a dish without these two flavors these days.
Let’s talk noodles. I adore soba noodles. Soba noodles are made with buckwheat flour, and their nutty flavor is the perfect match for the toasted sesame seed oil in the dressing. The dressing is also made with rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, lime zest and juice, and heaps of red pepper flakes for spice. The dressing is so good, I even make it as a dipping sauce for fresh spring rolls. It will soon become your new favorite Asian dip.
So, fire up the grill and make this noodle salad that really packs a punch of flavor for your Summer dinner!
- 2 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 T canola oil
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- zest and juice from 1 lime
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the vinaigrette.
- Taste and add salt as necessary.
- 2 8 oz Omaha Steaks New York Boneless Strip Steaks
- 9 oz soba noodles (or whole wheat spaghetti noodles)
- 7 baby carrots in assorted colors, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat a grill or grill pan until very hot.
- Brush with neutral cooking oil if necessary, and sear the steaks on each side to your liking: medium is what I used for this recipe.
- Remove the steaks from the grill, and cover to let rest.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook the soba noodles according to the package directions.
- Drain, and rinse with cool water.
- To serve, slice the steak into thin slices.
- Add the steak to the serving bowl and toss with the vinaigrette.
- Add the noodles, julienned vegetables, cilantro, and scallions.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.