by Victoria Rogers0
BLT with Beef Bacon and Roasted Red Pepper Aioli
I have come to be a total bacon lover. I didn’t love it growing up…I know. Weird. But these days, I just want it all the time. I still haven’t gotten around to the bacon in my dessert fad…maybe I’ll get there. But for now, it’s still hanging out in my savory dishes.
I received Beef Bacon from Omaha Steaks. At first I didn’t think much of it. And then I realized that bacon is almost always pork…and I took a step back and thought, woah. Beef bacon. The next time I was at my local grocery store I searched the bacon section to find that they indeed did not sell beef bacon. There might have been one or two options for turkey bacon, but it was all mostly pork bacon.
I became really excited to try this new form of bacon. As far as I know, I am the first person out of anyone I know to cook up some beef bacon. I was not disappointed. It still had all the wonderful flavors that make it taste like, well, bacon.
And bacon doesn’t disappoint.
One of my favorite lunches in the summer are BLT sandwiches. Especially when the T in the sandwiches come straight from my garden. Fresh tomatoes right from the vine, still warm from the sun…heaven. What better way to eat those than with bacon?
I found a way to make this fresh sandwich taste even more fresh. Just whip up some Roasted Red Pepper Aioli (that just means fancy mayo) and slab it onto your bread. I was amazed at what this did to my BLT. Plus, my house smelled wonderfully of roasted red peppers.
This is definitely going to be making many appearances around lunchtime this summer. My most favorite summer time lunch item has just been created.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 clove garlic – minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¾ cup mayo
- Two slices of your favorite bread
- 1 large tomato
- A few leaves of lettuce
- Your favorite cheese (optional)
- 3 slices Omaha Steaks Beef Bacon– cooked
- Preheat the oven to 500.
- On a lined baking sheet, place the whole red peppers.
- Roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- While the peppers are roasting, slice the cherry tomatoes in half – set aside.
- Combine the oil and garlic – set aside.
- Remove the tray with the peppers from the oven.
- Flip the peppers and add the tomatoes to the same tray (cut side up).
- Drizzle the oil mixture on top of tomatoes – season with salt and pepper.
- Place the baking sheet back into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Once the peppers have cooled, peel and seed the peppers.
- Add the tomatoes, peppers and mayo to a food processor.
- Turn the food processor on until ingredients are combined.
- BLT Assembly
- Spread a generous amount of the red pepper aioli onto your favorite bread.
- Add sliced tomato, lettuce and beef bacon.
- Add cheese if you would like.
- Top with another piece of bread and enjoy.