by Trisha Benevides0
Brown Sugar Balsamic Icelandic Cod with Farro
I’ve tried in my adult years to like fish. Countless friends and a couple unsuccessful boyfriends have attempted to persuade me to try it again. Each time, I have turned up my nose. But when Omaha Steaks contacted me and asked me to create a dish out of their Icelandic Cod Fillets, I happily obliged. And let me tell you – it was good. The whole idea of a thick caramelized coating of brown sugar and balsamic glaze sounded divine on anything. The process for these fillets is so dang easy. In fact, the farro that accompanies it takes longer than the fish does to cook. How’s THAT for easy and simple?
The fish is flaky, tender, and the coating of brown sugar balsamic glaze that we broiled on top? Seriously delicious.
It’s the dish you’re whole family will love, my friends. And it’s on your table in less than 30 minutes!
- 4 Omaha Steaks Icelandic Cod Fillets – Thawed
- ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Pepper (Note: if you don’t have vanilla pepper, just use regular pepper and add 1 tsp vanilla extract.)
- 2 cups Brown Sugar, Divided
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Combine balsamic, vanilla pepper, 1 cup of brown sugar, soy sauce, and minced garlic in a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add cod and let marinate while the oven preheats.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place fillets on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 9 minutes.
- Remove cod from the oven and switch the oven over to broil.
- Pack on the remaining 1 cup of brown sugar onto each fillet.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Serve immediately with farro. (recipe follows)
- 6 cups Water
- 1 cup Farro
- 1 T Minced Garlic
- 2 T Salt
- ¼ cup Chopped Parsley
- 4 T Butter
- Optional: 1 cup Tri-Color Raisins, 1 cup Sliced Almonds
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add farro, garlic, and salt, dropping the heat down to medium.
- Simmer farro, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Drain farro and pour it into a serving bowl.
- Add parsley and butter.
- Add raisins and almonds if using.
- Mix to combine.
- Serve immediately.