by Derik Hill0
The Dutch oven is one of my favorite, most versatile pieces of kitchen equipment. It’s such a great heat conductor and can hold temperatures for an extended time. Use it in the oven, on the stovetop, or on a bed of coals. I also love it for making stews, chili, soups, and this gumbo.
We know that chicken has a lot of health benefits with its low fat content but let’s face it, it isn’t always the most exciting things to eat when a boneless skinless breast is on the menu. At least it isn’t always that exciting until now.
Combined with fresh vegetables and spices this chicken gumbo takes chicken into a new flavor galaxy. There is so much flavor packed into this dish you would think it is a very unhealthy dish but with this lean chicken and fresh veggies it may change the way you think about health food.
- 4 Omaha Steaks boneless skinless chicken breast cut into ¾ inch chunks
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- 10 T butter
- ? cup flour
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 5 cups chicken stock
- Cut chicken into ¾ inch chunks then sprinkle with paprika and basil.
- Toss until covered.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot melt butter then add flour.
- Mix flour in the melted butter and keep stirring for 20-25 minutes until the flour breaks down and begins to turn a dark brown, almost chocolate colored, then add peppers, onion, and celery cooking until softened.
- Add thyme, oregano, bay leaves, and cayenne then slowly pour chicken stock in and mix.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook for another 45-60 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Serve however you like gumbo over rice or mashed potatoes.