by Trisha Benevides0
Grilled Flank Steak Farmers Market Salad
I’m on a crusade, friends. My family is laughing at me right now because vegetables have never been my friend. I only started eating salad in my 30’s. For years, I thought I was allergic to healthy things.
In reality, anything green made me turn away. I didn’t like anything even remotely considered healthy food. I was just fine subsisting on meat and potatoes and cheese in my tower of closed mindedness.
But lately, I’ve gotten away from this practice. My meal plan has included way too many indulgences and too few items of color. Hence the crusade.
My food should be as colorful as possible and luckily the products at Omaha Steaks help create the perfect accompaniment to my symphony of colors.
Last Saturday, I took to the mega farmers market in lovely Davis, CA. It boasts a variety of local CSA’s and vendors with everything from breakfast sandwiches to freshly baked bread to baby greens still in the dirt. It’s a smorgasbord of health nuts and it makes me shiver.
I think I caught a little bit of “the healthy” while I was there.
Either way, I felt the urge to grill up some Tex-Mex seasoned Omaha Steaks Flank Steak, a sliced up zucchini, and an ear of corn, and toss it with fresh cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, red onions, and Queso Fresco. With some homemade Red Pepper Vinaigrette, this salad was definitely all about “the healthy”, and was the perfect way to kick off more salad eating.
This salad boasts so many flavors and textures, from the spicy arugula and hearty baby spinach to the crunchy sweet carrots and juicy tomatoes. The flank steak grills up quickly, making this salad an easy weeknight meal in a pinch that won’t leave you feeling like, “ugh, I’m just having a salad for dinner”. No – you’re having a homemade Grilled Flank Steak Farmers Market Salad.
Need vegetables? We have The Chef’s Garden vegetables and will deliver them fresh from the soil to your door!
- 2 Omaha Steaks Flank Steaks, Thawed
- 1 T Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 T Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Zucchini, Sliced
- 1 ear Corn on the Cob, Shucked
- 4 cups Arugula
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 1 bunch Baby Carrots, Peeled
- 1 Red Onion, Sliced
- 1 cup Queso Fresco, Crumbled
- Olive Oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove steaks from the plastic packaging and blot them dry with a paper towel.
- Place them on a cookie sheet.
- In a bowl, combine salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. Rub mixture into both sides of the steak.
- Set aside.
- On another cookie sheet, lay out the zucchini slices and corn cob.
- Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Fire up the grill on high and bring the temperature up to 450 F.
- Place steaks, corn, and zucchini on the grill.
- Steaks will need about 7 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Zucchini slices will need about 5 minutes for the first side and 1-2 minutes for the second side.
- Turn corn as you turn the zucchini and steaks so that you get an even char all around.
- After you pull the steak, corn, and zucchini off the grill, tent it with aluminum foil for 10 minutes while you compile the salad and vinaigrette (recipe below)
- In a large salad bowl, combine arugula, baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, red onion slices, and queso fresco.
- Set aside.
- Scrape corn off the cob and sprinkle onto the salad along with the zucchini slices.
- Thinly slice the steak and top the salad with it.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over the entire salad and serve!
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Red Pepper Jelly
- 1 tsp Chopped Garlic
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 T Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- In a mason jar, combine all vinaigrette ingredients.
- Shake to combine.