by David Olson0
Mediterranean Lamb Burgers w/ Olive Tapenade and Feta Cheese
– 1.5 pounds Omaha Steaks Lamb Burgers
– 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional for basting
– 2 shallots, finely sliced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 cup Kalamata Olives, drained, pitted & roughly chopped
– ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
– 1 green onion, chopped
– 2 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
– 1 teaspoon ground oregano
– ½ teaspoon ground cumin
– ½ teaspoon ground dill
– ½ teaspoon dry ground mustard seed
– Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
– Heirloom tomatoes, sliced, to garnish.
– Baby leaf spinach, chopped, to garnish
– Olive tapenade, to garnish (recipe below)
– Pretzel buns, buttered and toasted
1. While lamb is cold, but not frozen, cube meat, then place into meat grinder or processor. Churn meat & set aside.
2. In sauté pan over high heat bring 1 tablespoon oil to gentle simmer. Add onion & garlic, sautéing 5-7 minutes, or until onion translucent & garlic fragrant. Remove from heat. Set aside.
3. Combine lamb with sautéed onion & garlic, olives, feta, green onion, herbs & seasonings. Then cover & place in the refrigerator for 1-4 hours, allowing flavors to meld.
4. Remove from refrigerator 20 minutes prior to grilling, returning meat near room temperature.
5. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
6. Gently form 4-6, 1.5? thick burger patties with ½ inch dimple impressed into patty center, then lightly brush the patties with oil & lay over direct heat. Close grill lid & sear over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Flip and grill second side for 2-4 minutes (medium rare), 6 minutes (medium), or 8 Minutes (medium well).
7. In final minutes of grilling set buttered buns over grill grates to toast.
8. Remove burgers & buns from grill. Set buns aside. Rest burger under tin foil tent for 5-7 minutes.
9. Season Mediterranean Lamb Burgers additionally to taste, then over toasted bun dress up with spinach, tomato & olive tapenade.
Mixed Green Olive Tapenade
– 1 cup mixed green olives, chopped
– 1 teaspoons fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
– 1 teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped
– ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
– 1 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 tablespoon capers, drained
– 1 anchovy filet, minced
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– Salt and fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in food processor.
2. Pulse until well-combined.
3. Fold in lemon juice & olive oil.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve immediately or refrigerate and reserve up to 2 weeks in a sealed container.