by Peter Block1
Marsala Mushroom Cheeseburgers
This recipe for Marsala Mushroom Cheeseburgers is the first post in a series of burger posts featuring Omaha Steaks gourmet burgers. We all know from the name about their awesome steaks but they have expanded their offerings so much more than just steaks. I can honestly say that I did not all that much about their burgers until they reached out to me with a challenge-come up with recipe ideas that accentuate the burger. I love this challenge. I have been thinking up ideas 24/7.
The first burger is created using Omaha Steaks Angus Burger. Starting with a higher quality meat deserves a more upscale pairing. I love mushrooms and mushrooms go well with steak. So how about I take the mushrooms up one more level and make marsala mushrooms? As if that would be enough, why not also use 2 different type of cheeses and add a challah roll for a bun. The final result is a combination that I absolutely loved eating. I know. You are the one who has to decide. But as all chefs and home cooks know there are only a few times every so often that we create a recipe where we say “OMG”.
This was one of those times. A good recipe starts with good ingredients. Obviously, and I am not just saying this, the burger had great flavor. I only add a little salt and pepper. The pairing with the mushrooms and 2 cheeses took this cheeseburger over the top. This Marsala Mushroom Cheeseburger belongs on your table, and I am so bold to suggest, could be on plenty of restaurant menus. You try it and tell me.
- 3 T olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 T garlic, chopped
- ½ lb mushrooms, sliced
- 3 T flour
- ½ cup Marsala wine
- 1½ cups beef stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil to heavy hot saucepan.
- Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, and saute until mushrooms are tender.
- Add flour and cook about 1 minute then deglaze pan with Marsala wine.
- Add beef stock and cook until thick and flavors are blended.
- 2 Omaha Angus Steak Burgers
- Season with salt and pepper
- 1 – 2 T vegetable oil
- 8 – 10 slices Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 8 – 10 slices Fontina cheese
- 2 Challah Buns
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high heat with vegetable oil making sure to lightly coat the pan.
- Season the Omaha angus burgers with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add the burgers to the skillet.
- Cook 4 minutes on the first side. (You will know the burger is ready to flip when the skillet side down shrinks.)
- After flipping the burger, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 slices of the cheddar cheese and cover the pan with a top to get a really good melt.
- Meanwhile, place the buns with the bottom bun covered with 4 slices of the Fontina cheese in a 325 degree oven.
- Cook for 2 minutes to brown the bun and melt the cheese.
- Assemble the sandwich by taking the burger on the Fontina cheese bun and smother the burger with as much of the marsala mushrooms as you dare.
- Serve and enjoy!